Auto Accident Attorneys in Columbia, IL
Contact our experienced Columbia, IL, auto accident lawyers today for a free consultation and case review.
Auto Accident Attorneys in Columbia, IL. Based in St. Louis, the Dixon Injury Firm provides legal representation to victims who have suffered from auto accidents. Please contact our Columbia auto accident lawyers right away if you are looking for legal representation. The Dixon Injury Firm offers free legal counsel to injury victims and their families. Call today for a case review.
Our lawyers have recovered more than $50 million for clients. It is important to our lawyers to provide grade-A legal counsel. Our car and truck crash lawyers fight to win clients justified compensation. See below for a few quick facts about auto accidents in Missouri and Illinois:
- According to the Association for Safe International Road Travel (ASIRT), nearly 37,000 people die annually in auto accidents. It’s considered one of the top 10 causes of death in the U.S. In addition, more than 2.3 million people are disabled or injured in vehicle-related accidents. Of the 37,000 fatalities, nearly a quarter involve drivers aged 16-20. Car and truck accidents are the leading cause of death for healthy citizens.
- The FMCSA reports that there is in excess of 4,000 large vehicle-related fatalities each year. These cases often involve survivors such as family who have the difficult task of seeking reimbursement. The Dixon Injury Firm’s auto accident attorneys in Columbia, IL, help victims negotiate with large insurance companies and win settlements.
- General liability for larger vehicles ranges between $300,000 and $5 million. Victims and survivors can make claims against the insurer and other negligent parties in addition to the owner of the truck or rental company. Auto accidents are complicated, and it is crucial to get an experienced auto accident lawyer right away. We will look into all the pertinent damages, including liability, property damage, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other special and general damages.
Our auto accident attorneys in Columbia, IL, have also put together a comprehensive set of FAQs for car accidents, truck accidents, and wrongful death cases where we answer common questions about winning a claim, sending demand letters, hiring lawyers, and the types of compensation you can win.
The Most Common Types of Auto Accidents
Settlments for vehicle-related accidents varies on a number of factors. For example, drowsy driving is associated with upwards of 72,000 crashes and almost 1,000 deaths every year. A few of the most common types of car and truck accidents involve:
Other common large truck accidents often involve distracted driving, sideswipe accidents, a failure to maintain, and speeding. View our case results to see the amount of compensation our Columbia car and truck accident lawyers have won for victims.
Recoverable Damages After a Car Accident
Considering these accidents, there are a handful of ways to decide on what’s considered fair and just reimbursement. The damages you can claim after a car accident depend on who’s involved, if there were any fatalities, where and how the accident occurred, and other circumstances. Our Columbia, IL, auto accident attorneys will consider general and special damages to see what you’re owed in terms of reimbursement. These include:
- Comparative Fault: Some states (like Missouri) use Comparative fault, where a plaintiff may only be partially at fault. This means the defendant would pay a percentage based on comparative fault.
- Liability: Who is liable? If you are hit by an 18-wheeler, who pays? An experienced lawyer will look into who owns the truck, their insurers, and other factors.
- Pain and Suffering: When you calculate your damages, pain and suffering is often one of the more difficult factors to adjust for. To start with, pain and suffering accounts for post-accident recovery and stress. This can include general damages like chronic pain, anxiety, depression, PTSD, and other lasting mental and physical injuries. Loss of consortium or enjoyment are other factors to consider.
- Medical Expenses: When you are injured, it is absolutely crucial to document all of your medical expenses. This includes rehabilitation, surgeries, pharmaceuticals, and other factors and long-term health effects.
- Lost Wages: Being in a car or truck accident could mean taking time off of work. When you add in expenses like rehab and medical bills, a few lost paychecks start to add up. Our Columbia car accident attorneys will account for missing wages in addition to any loss of earning potential or career advancement. Read more about calculating lost income here.
- Property Damage: Was your car totaled? Were other vehicles involved? Property damage can extend to repair costs are replacements based on fair market value. “Property” also includes damaged phones, jewelry, watches, and other personal property.
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses: Everything from childcare fees, transportation, and even gas money can be added to special damages. It is important to contact a local auto accident attorney as soon as possible to make sure you get the reimbursement you deserve.
To justify your claim to emotional distress, pain and suffering, and other damages, it’s absolutely critical to document everything. You need to request medical records and police reports, keep track of expenses, gather photos and witness testimonies, and even document your state of mind during the recovery process. An experienced auto accident attorney in Columbia, IL, can help you gather all of these documents to support your claim. You’ll need all the information you can get to convince claims adjusters and courts that you suffered monetary damages because of an accident.
Your Columbia, IL, Auto Accident Attorneys
A car or truck accident can irrevocably alter your life and the lives of others. As experienced personal injury lawyers, it’s our job to make sure the legal process is as smooth and easy as possible. Here are some other things you should know:
- What do I do if I’m in a vehicle accident? Step one: Contact Dixon’s Columbia, IL, accident lawyers right away. The quicker you begin the process, the sooner you can get compensated for your loss.
- Why do I need a lawyer? Insurance companies will try to “buy you off” with an easy and quick settlement, which would be tempting if you are under financial pressure. A qualified Columbia injury attorney will help you add up the damages.
- How is reimbursement calculated? Reimbursement may include special and general damages, such as pain and suffering, ongoing medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and other financial factors.
- What types of cases does the Dixon Injury Firm take? We take cases that involve medical malpractice, workers compensation, personal injury, car and truck accidents, and others. View our practice areas here.
You can also read our free e-book about car accident compensation here:
Have You Been In a Car Accident?
Free Book for Download
Our Columbia, IL, injury lawyers have put together a comprehensive guide to car accident compensation. Read it now and contact us for a free consultation.
Contact a Local Auto Accident Attorney Now
The Dixon Injury Firm has won more than $37 million for clients and their families. As we’ve mentioned, we focus on a number of practices in the Columbia, IL, area. These include:
Don’t hesitate to contact our Columbia auto accident attorneys today for a free consultation and case review. There is no up-front commitment and you don’t pay if we don’t win your case. If you or a loved one have been involved in a vehicle-related accident, our Columbia, IL, auto accident attorneys are here to help.