St. Louis Daycare Injury Lawyer
Daycare Injury Lawyers Fighting for St. Louis and Missouri Families
Every parent expects the best of care when leaving their child at a daycare center while they at work, school, or otherwise need a babysitter for the day. You are, after all, paying these professional daycare workers to guard those closet to you. However, a staggering number of daycare injuries occur on a regular basis. Statistics show that there are more than 200,000 children injured on daycare playgrounds each year alone.
If you suspect your child’s injury was caused by the negligence of a daycare, our St. Louis daycare injury lawyers are available for a FREE Consultation by calling (314) 409-7060.
Dixon Injury Firm provides a wide range of legal services. This includes personal injury, workers compensation, product liability, and other claims. Our St. Louis daycare injury lawyers bring grade-a legal counsel to clients and their families. Please contact us for additional information and a free consultation from our daycare accident lawyers.
Types of Injuries Sustained in Daycare Centers
No one wants to think that a child may be injured on their watch. Daycare workers have a tall order when protecting your child, especially when they have several others in their care as well. Some of the daycare injuries reported each year include:
- Bruises and Contusionsdaycare lawyer
- Scrapes and Cuts
- Fractured or Broken Bones
- Internal Injuries
- Intentional Injuries by Daycare Workers or Other Children
Intentional injuries are not something any parent wants to consider when they see an unexplained injury on their child. The very idea that someone would intentionally harm your child, or any child, is preposterous to most people. There are, however, some daycare workers who have been known to inflict injury when they believe no one is watching.
Common Causes of Child Daycare Injuries
Injuries and children seem to go hand-in-hand. All parents know to expect bumps, scrapes, and bruises from time to time. Most aren’t surprised when their child comes home from daycare with a new bruise, but when it becomes a regular occurrence, it becomes a problem. Whether a bruise, burn or other injury, below are several common common ways injuries occur at daycare:
- Playground Injuries: Swings, slides, and other playground equipment are incredible fun for children in daycare. They can also be accidents waiting to happen. Children often sustain broken or fractured bones, scrapes, cuts, and bruises when they fall off of playground equipment.
- Learning to Walk: Babies who are learning to walk often fall and get hurt. They may pull up to a standing position while holding onto a table, a bookshelf, or any toy that they can hold. Their object may be unstable and cause them to fall, resulting in an injury that affects their head, mouth, or some other part of their body. These accidents are very common with babies whether in daycare or at home.
- Bottle Warmer Burns: How the baby’s bottle will be warmed is a question that a lot of parents don’t think to ask. Microwaves heat unevenly and can cause burns as your baby drinks the milk inside. Bottle warmers are like slow cookers filled with water that are designed to warm several bottles simultaneously. The bottles are usually at a good temperature for ingestion, but curious toddlers may pull the bottle warmer with scalding water off of the countertop and onto themselves, causing serious burns.
- Bruises and Contusions: Children fall while running and playing. They bump into walls, toys, and tables on a regular basis. Normal bruising can easily be explained as simple growing and learning experiences. Regular unexplained bruising needs to be examined in great detail to ensure they are truly innocent accidents and not the result of abuse.
- Loose or Falling Objects: Children are curious by nature. That curiosity often leads them into dangerous situations with loose objects on coffee tables and bookshelves. Tall furniture such as bookshelves should be anchored to the wall to prevent them from toppling over on unsuspecting toddlers climbing.
- Changing Table Falls: Daycare workers will often utilize changing tables or other high surfaced furniture when changing diapers. Falls from these heights often result in child head injuries.
- Not Enough Supervision: Daycare’s will sometimes fail to hire enough people to properly take care of the number of children under their watch. Whether it is from a desire to make more money or from a worker calling in sick, it is unacceptable.
- Intentional Injuries: Intentional acts of harm from an adult to a child are among the most unthinkable. Even more so when it comes from an individual paid to care for your child.
What to do when Your Child is Injured at Daycare
The best thing you can do is understand what a normal daycare injury is and what is not. Many daycare accidents that cause injury are truly accidents. Your child may be struck or bitten by another child, or fall from the playground equipment. The daycare workers are required to call you to inform you of the accident even if your child is fine afterward.
Some daycare injuries are normal; frequent injuries may require more than just your attention. You know your child better than anyone. You know if your child is clumsy or accident prone at home. Use your parental instinct to guide you if your child is frequently injured at daycare. Here are some tips:
- Call the daycare to discuss the frequency at which your child is obtaining injuries. Request that more attention is given to incidents involving your child to ensure he or she isn’t being bullied or intentionally abused by other children.
- Call your local child protection agency to request an inspection. Describe the types of injuries your child is experiencing on a regular basis. CPS will involve the authorities as necessary.
- Call The Dixon Injury Firm for a free case evaluation to see if you have a case against the daycare center. Your child and your family deserve the best representation in the event of a serious injury.
More About Daycare Injury Lawyers in St. Louis
Christopher R. Dixon and the Dixon Injury Firm focus on daycare injury claims and other personal and workplace accidents. Recognized by the National Trial Lawyers Association as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer, Chris understands how difficult these cases are for families. To help alleviate financial stress, Dixon’s trial lawyers make it easier by offering a contingency payment plan. This enables you to pay only if the case is won. Dixon Injury Firm’s legal services are free until then.
St. Louis Daycare Injury Lawyers Handle Cases Across Missouri
The Dixon Injury Firm has helped the parents of children injured in daycare hold those at fault responsible. Daycare injury cases require a detailed investigation and proper agency reporting. If daycare injuries are not brought to the attention of the community, it places other unsuspecting children in harms way. Daycare injuries may often result in significant medical expenses, parental lost wages, future medical treatment or death.
The Dixon Injury Firm provides FREE Consultations to all injury victims by calling 314-409-7060. We are here to help.