Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia, IL
Contact our accident lawyers in Columbia, IL, today for a free consultation and case review.
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia, IL. Our firm offers professional legal representation to families that have suffered a wrongful death. There are a number of parties who can be sued for wrongful death, including businesses, insurance companies, and any negligent actor. It’s important for survivors to reach out to a qualified attorney to see if you are owed reimbursement after an accident. Our Wrongful Death Attorneys will fight for your claim or go to trial. If we don’t win your case, you don’t pay. Don’t hesitate to contact our Columbia, IL, wrongful death lawyers today for a case review.
There are lots of types of reimbursement you can receive for a wrongful death settlement. There are several factors that go into a wrongful death claim, which is why it’s so important to get experienced legal counsel. The Dixon Injury Firm has handled vehicle-related cases, nursing home negligence, firearm negligence, product liability, and other claims. All of these are linked to wrongful death lawsuits. Below, you can find a few facts about these types of cases in Missouri and Illinois.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are over 40,000 auto-related fatalities every year.
- Designated beneficiaries (those who can file a wrongful death claim) include family members, children, adoptees, domestic partners, and spouses.
- In some states, you may have as long as 2-3 years to file a wrongful death claim. Contact our Columbia, IL, wrongful death attorneys today to learn more about the statute of limitations.
- Poisoning, auto accidents, falls, and medical malpractice rank among the leading cause of wrongful death.
- Reimbursement factors usually include medical bills, funeral expenses, counseling, loss of companionship, loss of income, and others.
Wrongful death claims are complex. There are different laws in Missouri and Illinois, various parties may be liable, and settlement amounts can change drastically. Survivors and family members may be able to collect millions of dollars depending on the claim.
Common Wrongful Death Cases
It’s our job at the Dixon Injury Firm to protect your rights. Whether it’s a family that lost someone because of a distracted driver, a worker who was killed in a construction accident, or just an innocent bystander, it’s important for our firm to provide quality legal counsel. Below are some of the most common types of wrongful death cases our firm has managed in the past:
- Car Accidents
- Criminal Acts
- Workplace Negligence
- Product Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Defective Drugs
- Truck Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
Getting a lawyer right away is essential for winning a wrongful death case. The Dixon Injury Firm’s Columbia, IL, wrongful death lawyers have won more than $35 Million in settlements. Learn more about our wrongful death attorneys here.
A wrongful death claim can be used for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, support, counseling, and other damages. You may also be able to claim the cost of care leading up to the death based on a state’s minimum wage laws.
Medical wrongful death is particularly challenging. We will look into whether or not a physician had the right experience, if any decisions were ill-advised, and if the treatment facility was negligent in any way. Unintentional death at the workplace is another major concern for our Columbia, IL, wrongful death attorneys. Often, workplace fatalities are attributed to safety cutbacks and other hazards. If you’re a spouse, child, descendant, parent, or even a sibling or niece or nephew, you might be able to file a wrongful death case. Contact the Columbia, IL, wrongful death attorneys now to learn more about our experience with these cases.
Damages for Wrongful Death Claims in Columbia, IL
Most states allow you to claim special and general damages. In regard to economic damages, the rule-of-thumb is to multiply any financial compensation (from hospital fees, burial costs, etc.) by 4 or 5. It’s important for survivors to not rush large insurance companies or negligent parties with a demand letter. The Dixon Injury Firm’s Columbia, IL, wrongful death attorneys have experience dealing with insurers and can help you send a demand letter that clearly outlines the claim.
There are a few common things to consider in any wrongful death case to prove negligence:
- Duty of Care: As a society, it’s our duty to act responsibly. For example, you’re supposed to yield at yield signs and deliver quality medical care.
- Breach: A breach is when a third party fails to show duty of care. You can look at breach as a “failure to act,” like not stopping at a stop sign and hitting a pedestrian.
- Causation: It’s important to prove that a negligent party’s breach of duty of care actually caused you (the survivor) harm. If you’re in an accident, it’s important to prove that a negligent party caused the accident.
- Damages: The concept behind compensation or punitive damages hinges on the fact that you’ve been affected financially. This includes medical expenses, lost time from work, funeral expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages.
We will consider medical expenses, mental and physical distress the victim felt prior to their death, property damages, lost wages, and pain and suffering for the survivors. View our wrongful death FAQs to learn more about the claims process. Below, you can find some of the questions and answers for these types of cases:
. The easiest answer is to contact a wrongful death attorney in Columbia, IL, right away for support and legal representation.
THe Dixon Injury Firm offers a range of legal counsel for clients in the Columbia area. These include the following practice areas:
View some of our firm’s results and recent cases and testimonials to learn more. A death in the family can cause serious financial repercussions for any number of people, and it is our goal to help those families get the compensation they deserve.
Contact Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia, IL, Now
There’s a lot that goes into every case, and as Columbia, IL, wrongful death attorneys, it’s our duty to help victims and their families gather all of the required information in order to be fairly reimbursed. Our firm has your back. Reach out to our Columbia, IL, wrongful death lawyers today for more information. We offer free case reviews and consultations.