Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia, MO
Contact our accident lawyers in Columbia, MO, today for a free consultation and case review.
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia, MO. The Dixon Injury Firm offers legal support to families that have suffered a wrongful death. Insurers, businesses, and other negligent parties may be liable for a wrongful death. It’s crucial for survivors to reach out to a qualified attorney to see if you are owed reimbursement after an accident. The Dixon Injury Firm’s Wrongful Death Attorneys will fight for your claim or go to trial. If we don’t win your case, you don’t pay. Feel free to contact our Columbia, MO, wrongful death lawyers now for a case review.
There are lots of types of compensation you can get for a wrongful death settlement. There are several factors that go into a wrongful death claim, which is why it’s so important to get experienced legal counsel. The Dixon Injury Firm has handled car accident cases, premises liability, medical malpractice, truck crashes, and other claims. All of these are linked to wrongful death lawsuits. Here, we’ve provided a few facts about wrongful death cases in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois.
- According to the CDC, there are approximately 40,000 vehicle-related fatalities each year.
- Designated beneficiaries (those who can file a wrongful death claim) include immediate family members, life partners, financial dependents, and parents of unmarried children.
- Different states have different time limits on filing a wrongful death claim (usually 2-3 years). Contact our Columbia, MO, wrongful death attorneys today to learn more about the statute of limitations.
- Unintentional injuries (falls, mostly), poisoning, car and truck accidents, and medical malpractice are the top causes of wrongful death.
- Compensation factors typically include loss of income, loss of consortium, medical and funeral expenses, and others.
Wrongful death cases can get complicated very quickly. There are different laws in Missouri and Illinois, various parties may be liable, and settlement amounts can change drastically. Survivors and family members may be able to collect millions of dollars depending on the case.
Common Wrongful Death Claims
Our reputation is built on protecting the rights of our clients. Whether it’s an innocent bystander, an employee who was killed in an accident, or a family that lost someone due to negligence, it’s important for our firm to provide quality legal counsel. Here are some of the most common types of wrongful death claims we manage:
- Car Accidents
- Criminal Acts
- Workplace Negligence
- Product Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Defective Drugs
- Truck Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
Getting a lawyer right away is essential for winning a wrongful death case. The Dixon Injury Firm’s Columbia, MO, wrongful death lawyers have won more than $35 Million in case victories. Learn more about the Dixon Injury Firm’s wrongful death attorneys here.
A wrongful death claim can be used for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, support, counseling, and other damages. You may also be able to claim the cost of care leading up to the death based on a state’s minimum wage laws.
Medical malpractice wrongful death is particularly difficult. We will look into whether or not a physician had the right experience, if any decisions were ill-advised, and if the treatment facility was negligent in any way. Unintentional death at the workplace is another major concern for our Columbia, MO, wrongful death attorneys. Often, work-related fatalities are attributed to safety cutbacks and other hazards. Parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, spouses, children, and other family members may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim. Contact the Columbia, MO, wrongful death attorneys today to learn more about our capabilities.
Damages for Wrongful Death Claims in Columbia, MO
You can claim both general and special damages for wrongful death in most states. In regard to economic damages, the average is to multiply any financial compensation (from hospital fees, burial costs, etc.) by 4 or 5. It’s important for survivors to not rush large insurance companies or negligent parties with a demand letter. The Dixon Injury Firm’s Columbia, MO, wrongful death attorneys have experience dealing with insurers and can help you send a demand letter that clearly outlines the claim.
There are four things to consider in any wrongful death case to prove negligence:
- Duty of Care: There’s a standard of responsibility in society. For example, you are supposed to stop at red lights and provide a safe work environment.
- Breach: A breach is when a third party fails to show duty of care. You can look at breach as a “failure to act,” like not stopping at a stop sign and hitting a pedestrian.
- Causation: It’s important to prove that a negligent party’s breach of duty of care actually caused you (the survivor) harm. If you’re in an accident, it’s important to prove that a negligent party caused the accident.
- Damages: To get reimbursement, you’re going to have to prove that you were financially harmed. This includes medical expenses, lost time from work, funeral expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages.
There are lots of factors to consider, such as property damage, lost wages, loss of companionship, and any physical and mental distress felt by the victim before their death. Skim through our wrongful death FAQs to learn more about the claims process. Below, you can find some of the questions and answers for these types of cases:
It’s important to know your rights as a survivor and how to approach a case. The easiest answer is to contact a wrongful death attorney in Columbia, MO, right away for support and legal representation.
THe Dixon Injury Firm offers a range of legal counsel for victims and their families in the Columbia area. Some of these include the following practice areas:
View a few of the Dixon Injury Firm’s results and recent cases and testimonials to learn more. A death in the family can cause serious financial repercussions for any number of people, and it is our goal to help those families get the compensation they deserve.
Contact Wrongful Death Attorneys in Columbia, MO, Now
There’s a lot that goes into every case, and as Columbia, MO, wrongful death attorneys, it’s our duty to help victims and their families get all the information they need to get compensated. Our firm has your back. Reach out to our Columbia, MO, wrongful death lawyers today for more information. We offer free case reviews and consultations.